July 27, 2006

Alan Watts and Zen...zip...zap...zoom

Are you a westerner feeling empty? Or are you an Asian who thinks that we know every thing about Hinduism, Vedantha, Buddhism and Yoga? If you say yes, then with all the humility I will ask you a simple question –have you ever read Alan Watts?

Alan Watts was the think tank for many thinkers of the twentieth century. If you ask me to supply an example, the name of Osho Rajneesh will come to my mind.Osho has spoken a book (because he never sat and wrote a book, all of them were transcribed)-‘The Books I Loved.’ In that he speaks on great philosophers, mathematicians and poets and their works. In the end of the book he mentions the name of Alan Watts and remembers the Biblical saying-“They also are blessed, who stand and wait.”And says that he is obliged to Alan Watts for his original thoughts and has dedicated the whole book in the memory of Alan Watts!

Alan Watts, who died in 1974, held both a master’s degree in theology and a doctorate of divinity, and was best known as an interpreter of Zen Buddhism in particular, and of Indian and Chinese philosophy and psychology of religion, which include
The Way of Zen
The Supreme Identity
The Joyous Cosmology,
Beyond Theology
Cloud-Hidden Whereabouts Unknown
Tao –The Watercourse Way
Zen
The Spirit of Zen
The Legacy of Asia and Western Man
The Meaning of Happiness
The Theologica Mystica of St. Dionysius
Behold the Spirit
The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
In My Own Way: An Autobiography


After reading few of his books, I found a new mantra to enjoy and understand life(the order is important!). Again, I am grateful to my friend N.Ramaswamy for introducing me to this great seer.
---------------->
Now a slice from his profound book- Behold the Spirit.


Zen is largely a monastic religion, although the monks do not as a rule take life vows since their stay in the monastery is often only temporary-for purposes of instruction. These monasteries are run somewhat on Benedictine lines, the rule consisting of both meditation and manual work, and the spiritual life is directed by a roshi or “master” distinct from the abbot, who attends to administrative affairs. The following instances of the Zen way of teaching are dialogues between masters and their monks or lay inquirers:


“Ever since I came to you,” a monk complained, “I haven’t been instructed at all in the study of Reality.” “Ever since you came to me,” replied the master, “I have always been pointing out to you how to study Reality.”

“In what way, sir?” “When you brought me tea, did I not accept it? When you brought me food, did I not eat it? When you made bows to me, did I not return them? When did Iever neglect in giving you instruction?”

Seeing that the monk did not understand, he concluded, “If you want to see, see directly into it; but when you try to think about it, it is altogether missed.”

Sometimes these exchanges were very brief and to the point:

“What is the real meaning of religion?”
“A refreshing breeze is stirred in the blue sky.”
“What is Tao (i.e., God, Reality)?”
“Walk on!”
“What is Realization?”
“Your everyday thoughts.
“What is the one ultimate word of truth?”
“Yes.”
“I asked, what is the one ultimate word of truth?”
“I’m not deaf!”
“I have just come to this monastery; please give me some instruction.”
“Have you had your breakfast?”
“Yes.”
“Then wash your dishes.”


I invite you to get deepen by reading Alan Watts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»